Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gone Girl - book review

Four out of five possible bookmarks
Gillian Flynn                                 
2012
 
Antonia's Rating:
 

 
 
          It’s a mystery! I’m not sure why, but this surprised me, guess I was expecting something more like love’s lost and it either works out in the end or it doesn’t.

          This is Gillian Flynn’s third novel (see others listed below), and it is destined to be some kind of award winner like her other two books.

          Gone Girl is a spectacular murder mystery along the Scott Peterson lines. I’ll let other reviewers divulge more of the plot than I feel comfortable doing. Suffice it to say, the husband, Nick, is singled out as the killer of his wife, Amy, who might be pregnant.

          As a writer, I appreciate anyone who can write a clever novel with an opposite sex narrative. Ms. Flynn does an excellent job of getting into the mind of her male defendant. His voice sounds genuine.

          This intriguing story is about the power struggles within a marriage. Gone Girl plucks out that ugly core of most relationships and holds it up to the light of just how far husbands and wives may go to be the one on top.

          I like the book’s methodology with Nick and Amy taking turns tossing out myriad details and lots of twists and turns in alternating chapters. The writing is smart and entertaining and very straightforward and, always appreciated by me, easy to follow. Too much weirdness and I’m flipping to the end to see where a book winds up.

          Gone Girl makes me question whether we can really ever know a person … know a spouse. This is a great read, and I highly recommend it.

Other books by author:  Sharp Objects, Dark Places

No comments:

Post a Comment