Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Flight" - movie review

Two out of five possible stubs.
Denzel Washington
2012
 
 
         

          I wanted to like this movie. Who doesn’t love Denzel? But, by the end of it, I was exhausted.

          First, I think there was too much hype leading up to the release (I saw it opening day.). I’ve been disappointed before in movies that have received a lot of advertising. C’mon a plane flying upside down and its wing clips the steeple of a lone church in a field where parishioners are outside the sanctuary and get showered with debris? We’ve probably all seen that trailer. That might have been one of the only good scenes in the movie.

          I was exhausted by the end because it’s tiring to watch someone seriously in denial about drinking themselves to death. Coupled with a ton of smoking and I was hacking and felt like I had a hangover by the time it ended. The amount of alcohol Denzel consumed was unbelievable, but perhaps I’m just naïve that anyone could walk let alone fly a plane with that much drugs and alcohol in their system.

          I say save your $$$ and see it on DVD if you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment