Saturday, July 6, 2013

20 Feet From Stardom – movie review

          Award-winning director Morgan Neville created this documentary about the untold yet true story of the backup singers who performed with some of the greatest singing legends including Frank Sinatra, Sting, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder and the Rolling Stones. The film joyously shows the power of many singers whose names we never knew and also shows the heartbreak of their endeavors to stand alone in front of the audience….most were not successful in their efforts to perform as headliners.

          The first 30 minutes of this documentary drag a little until Lisa Fischer appears. Her story about singing behind major headliners to her struggles to make it out in front are told in more depth, and the focus of her journey is highlighted. At this point I began to recognize more of the songs and the story is enhanced by the appearance of Bette Midler. Other great input is provided by Bruce Springsteen and Mick Jagger.

          I’m a documentary junkie, so it’s easy to entertain me when I'm learning something new. I learned a lot about these unsung heroes (sorry about that pun). Anytime I can learn while tapping my toe to fabulous R&B and rock music, it’s a good thing.
 
Four out of possible five ticket stubs

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment