Saturday, June 8, 2013

Patience: The Art of Peaceful Living – book review

Three out of possible five bookmarks
          This book couldn’t have come to me at a better time. I’d just been experiencing problems with my computer and had been working with barely understandable techs in foreign countries for the last month. If this situation doesn’t cry for the need of patience, I don’t know what does.

          You should know I’m not a patient person to begin with. In fact, this book was recommended by someone I’m working with who also happens to be a friend. At first, I thought his recommendation might have been a joke, but looking back now I can see the real value that I’m sure he knew would be of benefit to me.

          The author, Allan Lokos, writes from a very calm and spiritual place, which is outstanding considering the title of the book. He steps the reader through the benefits and, yes, necessity of coming from a patient point of view of you want a happy life. He says, “Inner peace can be seen as the ultimate benefit of practicing patience.” He also shares that the Dalai Lama has expressed we are here to be happy and that impatience greatly detracts from that happiness.

          The first part of the book deals with learning patience for yourself, which I have yet to master. In the second part of the book, Lokos discusses patience in relationships, and this, as we all know, is an excellent place to experience lack of patience, especially with spouses and friends. Next, the author addresses children, again where it’s obvious that a great deal of patience is not only required for yourself but in serving as a role model to blossoming children. Finally, the discussion moves to the workplace – dealing with co-workers, and bosses and subordinates – and technology. Who hasn’t come unhinged dealing with technology?

          Patience comes from seeing and accepting things as they are. Knowing that things are always changing also aides in accepting that what is before us won’t last forever. One of the best tools I received from this book was creating a pause between my experience of a feeling and my response to that feeling. Having said that, I must admit as soon as I finished the book and completed this short review, I experienced the most absurd exhibition of my own lack of patience at my gym. I was petulant, rude and certainly didn’t pause between my feelings and my responses to those feelings when someone was using equipment I wanted. It took me hours to calm down enough to forgive myself and laugh a little about not being perfect right off the bat. This incident certainly pointed out my need of focus and the practice of mindfulness. At least I have more tools to work with in increasing my patience in this world. I just have to take them out and try them on a little more.









No comments:

Post a Comment