Monday, April 1, 2013

Admission - movie review


          This movie is the comedy/drama story of admissions officer Portia (Tina Fey) as she follows strict guidelines for evaluating acceptance of select students into Princeton. Part of her job requires visiting various high schools to recruit applicants and, in the process, she runs into a former college classmate and headmaster, John (Paul Rudd,) of an alternate school. The headmaster is grooming one student in particular, Jeremiah, from his school who he thinks is, in fact, the child of Portia who was adopted out at birth.

          Extremely straitlaced Portia, looking to be the predecessor to her boss when he leaves at the end of the current term, ultimately bends the rules to garner the admission of Jeremiah.

          I love Tina Fey and I love Paul Rudd, but surprisingly, I don’t love them in this movie, and I don’t think it’s their fault. I think it’s the confusion of this neither comedy nor drama format that left me feeling flat. Perhaps I kept waiting for Tina to burst forth with some sort of SNL routine. Also, because it was produced by Ron Howard, among others, I expected it to be just plain more entertaining.

          In any case, I’m not recommending seeing Admission in the theater. Perhaps a year from now when you run across it at the video store or on Netflix and have nothing better to do….

Two out of five possible ticket stubs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment