Saturday, January 12, 2013

“Django Unchained” – movie review


          The year is 1858. Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a dentist turned bounty hunter, purchases and ultimately sets free a slave named Django (“the D is silent”) to help him track down and identify his latest quarry. Dr. Schultz talks Django (Jamie Foxx) into sticking with him as a partner for future bounties and, in return, the good doctor will help Django reunite with his slave wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), who was sold separately. Sounds simple enough, no?

          No! This is a Quentin Tarantino movie. Need I say more? Everything is over the top and, thus, becomes funny. It’s not a comedy, but I laughed more than I have in a long time.

          Not being a Tarantino fan, I didn’t even want to see “Django Unchained.” My friend and movie partner, Kristie, did see it and loved it. So much so that she wanted to see it again. Well, I couldn’t refuse. And boy am I glad I didn’t refuse.

          I loved this movie. Yeah, sure, I covered my eyes when the blood and gore was rampant, but it was done so majestically and dramatically it was awe inspiring…kind of like a 4th of July fireworks display. Ohhhhhh, ahhhhhh. Be warned: the “f” bomb gets tossed in there a lot as well and the infamous “n” word.

          Leonardo DeCaprio does an outstanding job playing the wife’s owner, Calvin Candie. And Bruce Dern even makes an up close appearance. Don Johnson, THE Don Johnson, is also in this movie, playing a southern plantation owner.

          “Django Unchained” is my new favorite for Best Movie at the Academy Awards. Christoph Waltz is up for Best Supporting Actor too. And then there’s Quentin’s Best Original Screenplay nomination.

          See this movie, but take it lightheartedly. Enjoy it for what it is rather than looking at it with a critical eye.  
                                                                   
                                                                                 Five out of five possible ticket stubs
                                                                                    
 
Check out Antonia's Senior Moments            

No comments:

Post a Comment